In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to deploy Microsoft PC Manager using Intune on Windows 10/11 devices. On Intune-managed devices, you can install the PC manager app from the new Microsoft Store.
Microsoft PC Manager is a new app that cleans up your system, frees up space, and improves PC performance. It is seen as an alternative to the popular CCleaner app for Windows devices. It integrates the Windows antivirus engine, comprehensively building a computer protection system.
Microsoft’s PC Manager app is now available for all users on Windows 10, version 19042.0 or higher. This app’s latest version, v3.3, supports one-click acceleration, system storage space management, professional virus scanning, comprehensive check-up, pop-up management, and other features.
If you want to install the Microsoft PC Manager app on Windows devices managed by Intune, there are two methods:
- Win32 App: Download the Microsoft PC Manager installer (executable file). Package it as a Win32 app and deploy it to Windows devices.
- New Microsoft Store: Get the Microsoft PC Manager app from the new Microsoft Store and use Intune to deploy it.
Of the two methods described above, the new Microsoft Store method is the easiest and most convenient because it takes less time to deploy and has fewer deployment failures.
When you use Intune to install the Microsoft PC Manager app from the new Microsoft Store, you simplify the overall deployment process. When new versions of the PC Manager app are released, Intune automatically updates them on all devices.
Microsoft PC Manager features
When you install PC Manager on Windows 10/11, it offers the following features:
If you are installing Microsoft PC Manager via the new Microsoft Store apps using Intune, there are some prerequisites that you must be aware of.
- The client devices must support at least two core processors to successfully install and run Microsoft Store apps.
- The devices need to be able to support the Intune Management Extension (IME) to install Microsoft Store apps. Don’t worry, Windows 10 and Windows 11 devices are supported.
- The client devices need access to the Microsoft Store and the destination content to install Microsoft Store apps. If your administrator has blocked the Microsoft Store, app deployments will fail.
- We recommend reading the guide on deploying new Microsoft Store apps with Intune to understand the benefits that it provides over apps deployed through the Microsoft Store (Legacy).
Steps to Deploy Microsoft PC Manager using Intune
Here are the instructions for using Microsoft Intune to install the Microsoft application on Windows devices.
To add the Microsoft PC Manager app to Intune, perform the following steps:
- Sign in to the Microsoft Intune Admin Center.
- Go to Apps > Windows and select Add.
- In the Select app type pane, select Microsoft Store app (new) under the Store app section.
On the App Information tab, select the option “Search the Microsoft Store app (new).” In the search bar, type “Microsoft PC Manager,” and from the search results, select the Microsoft PC Manager app.
The search display panel features a search bar and includes the following columns:
- Name: Displays the name of the app.
- Publisher: shows the publisher of the app.
- Type: Win32 or Universal Windows Platform (UWP).
Once you have selected the app, you can now configure the basic details of the Microsoft PC Manager app. Thanks to Microsoft, the majority of the basic information about the UWP app, such as the name, description, and publisher information, is automatically populated.
You can choose to display the Store app as a featured app in the company portal. Read how to display featured apps in Intune company portal for more information.
Scroll down to find an option to assign a logo for the Microsoft PC Manager app in Intune. Although specifying a logo for the app is optional, we recommend this step because it helps users identify the application and improves the overall user experience for the deployment. Also, see how to set logo for applications in Intune.
Once you have configured the required app information, click Next.
You have three options for assigning the PC Manager app to users or devices:
- Required: The app is installed on devices in the selected groups.
- Available for enrolled devices: Users install the app from the Company Portal app or the Company Portal website.
- Uninstall: The app is uninstalled from devices in the selected groups.
You can test the Microsoft PC Manager app deployment with a pilot group, and once it works, you can scale it up to a larger set of users or devices.
Once you have finalized the assignments, click Next.
The Review+Create tab shows the summary of the Microsoft PC Manager desktop app configuration. Review the configuration for the final time and select Create.
After creating an app in Intune, you get a notification confirming the Microsoft PC Manager application has been created successfully. In the next step, you’ll learn how to speed up the app deployment and monitor the installation status in Intune.
Synchronize the Intune Policies on Windows devices
After the Microsoft PC Manager is assigned to the groups via Intune, the devices will get the app when they check in with the Intune service. You can also force sync Intune policies on your computers in case you don’t find the app installed or listed in the company portal. See also how to resolve Intune Company Portal issues if you encounter issues with the company portal app.
Monitor Microsoft PC Manager app installation in Intune
After you have deployed the Microsoft PC Manager app via Intune, you can track the deployment to see how many users or devices successfully installed apps and how many failed or were not installed.
In the Intune admin center, select Apps > Windows and use the search box to locate the Microsoft PC Manager app. Select the Microsoft PC Manager application, and on the Overview blade, you can see how many users or devices have successfully installed the store app.
The screenshot below shows that the Microsoft PC Manager app was successfully installed for our users. For remaining users, the deployment is in progress, and once that is completed, the dashboard will be updated.
Verify Microsoft PC Manager app installation
To confirm if the Microsoft PC Manager app installation is successful via Intune, sign in to one of the Windows devices. Click Start and type “PC Manager,” and the app appears in the search results. To launch the app, click Open.
On Windows 11, the installed PC manager app also appears in the Apps > Apps & Features > Apps list.