In this post, we will look at the supported SQL server versions for SCCM current branch. When you install SCCM, you require SQL server to host the site database. This SQL server version should be supported by Configuration Manager.
With the release of SCCM 1606 many organizations are planning to upgrade their configuration manager environment. One important aspect during the ConfigMgr upgrade is to determine whether the installed SQL server version is compatible or not.
This article lists all the SQL server supported versions for SCCM current branch. This will help you out in choosing the SQL server version during configuration manager install or upgrade. If you are looking for size and scale numbers for Configuration Manager refer to this link.
When you install SQL for CAS and Primary sites, site database always uses full install of SQL. The SQL server can be on site server computer, or it could be on a remote computer.
For SCCM Secondary sites, the site DB can use a default instance of a full install of SQL Server, or SQL Server Express. However, the SQL Server cannot be remote in this case. It should be on the site server computer.
SCCM Configurations for SQL Server
Listing some of the important configurations required for all SQL server installs.
- Configuration Manager requires a 64-bit version of SQL Server to host the site database.
- While installing SQL server for SCCM, the site database must use the following Database collation: SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS.
- Only the Database Engine Services feature is required for each site server.
- SCCM requires Windows authentication to validate connections to the database.
- Take a look at SQL Server Memory Configurations.
- SQL Server ports: The Intersite communications use the SQL Server Service Broker, which uses port TCP 4022 by default. And the Intrasite communications between the database engine and various ConfigMgr site system roles use port TCP 1433 by default.
Supported SQL Server versions for SCCM Current Branch
The below table lists all the supported SQL server versions for SCCM current branch. You can use the below versions of SQL Server with no minimum cumulative update version.
|Supported SQL Server Versions for SCCM||SCCM CAS Site||SCCM Primary Site||SCCM Secondary Site|
|SQL Server 2019 (Standard, Enterprise) with cumulative update 5||YES||YES||YES|
|SQL Server 2017 Express with minimum CU2 or higher||NO||NO||YES|
|SQL Server 2017 (Standard, Enterprise)||YES||YES||YES|
|SQL Server 2016 Express||NO||NO||YES|
|SQL Server 2016 (Standard, Enterprise)||YES||YES||YES|
|SQL Server 2014 SP2 (Standard, Enterprise)||YES||YES||YES|
|SQL Server 2014 SP1 (Standard, Enterprise)||YES||YES||YES|
|SQL Server 2014 Express SP2||NO||NO||YES|
|SQL Server 2014 Express SP1||NO||NO||YES|
|SQL Server 2012 SP3 (Standard, Enterprise)||YES||YES||YES|
|SQL Server 2012 SP2 (Standard, Enterprise)||YES||YES||YES|
|SQL Server 2012 Express SP3||NO||NO||YES|
|SQL Server 2012 Express SP2||NO||NO||YES|
|SQL Server 2008 R2 SP3 (Standard, Enterprise)||YES||YES||YES|