Microsoft released SCCM 2111 hotfix KB12959506 to fix remote control viewer issues and ccmexec termination issues. The client update KB12959506 for ConfigMgr 2111 is an important hotfix.
The SCCM hotfix KB12959506 is available for customers using early update ring versions of 2111 and should have installed the following hotfix KB12709700. The KB12959506 hotfix is available for environments running SCCM 2111 only. To install this hotfix, you must first upgrade to SCCM 2111.
If you are running ConfigMgr version 2111, the hotfix KB12959506 should be available under Updates and Servicing node of console. The package GUID of hotfix KB12959506 is 6F03158E-E4F3-4F12-8AC2-B7724754B9E3.
Issues fixed in ConfigMgr 2111 Hotfix KB12959506
A client update KB12959506 is available for SCCM 2111 to address the following two issues:
- The remote control viewer hangs at “Connecting to host session” when starting a remote control session.
- The Configuration Manager client (ccmexec.exe) may terminate on startup if it receives policy to change the peer cache source client setting from disabled to enabled, while also having cached content.
More information about the ConfigMgr 2111 hotfix KB 12959506 can be found on Client update for Configuration Manager current branch, version 2111.
Install SCCM 2111 Hotfix KB12959506
To install SCCM 2111 Hotfix KB12959506:
- Launch the SCCM console.
- Go to Administration\Overview\Updates and Servicing node.
- Right-click Configuration Manager 2111 hotfix KB12959506 and click Install Update Pack.
The Configuration Manager 2111 Hotfix KB12959506 includes the following updates:
- Configuration Manager site server updates.
- Configuration Manager client updates.
With client update settings, you can upgrade the client agents immediately or validate the client agent in pre-production collection before upgrading site wide. Select the appropriate client update setting and click Next.
On the hotfix KB12959506 License Terms window, select I accept these license terms and privacy statement. Click Next.
If you have already enabled Cloud Attach in your SCCM setup, you shouldn’t see this option during the hotfix installation. However, you can skip the cloud attach settings by unchecking the Enable Cloud Attach option. Click Next.
On the Summary page, click Next and on the Completion window, click Close.
Monitor ConfigMgr 2111 Hotfix KB12959506 Installation
You can monitor the ConfigMgr 2111 hotfix KB12959506 installation in two ways. Go to Monitoring\Overview\Updates and Servicing Status. Right click Configuration Manager 2111 KB12959506 hotfix and select Show Status. Or you can review the cmupdate.log to know the hotfix installation progress.
In rare cases, the post installation steps are stuck, and the status is shown as In progress, but the update shows as installed. To resolve this issue, you can restart the server once.
Important: After you install SCCM 2111 hotfix KB12959506, there will be no console upgrade. Therefore, the SCCM console version will remain the same, which is 5.2111.1052.1700. The hotfix KB 12959506 for ConfigMgr 2111 includes only site server updates and update to clients. The build number of the SCCM site remains the same for 2111 which is 9068.
The KB12959506 hotfix update of Configuration Manager 2111 does not require a computer restart but will initiate a site reset after installation.
To confirm if the hotfix KB12959506 is installed, go to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing. If the Configuration Manager 2111 hotfix KB12959506 status shows as Installed, it means the hotfix KB12959506 installation is successful.
Update SCCM 2111 Hotfix KB12959506 on Secondary Sites
After you install the KB12959506 update on a SCCM 2111 primary site, pre-existing secondary sites must be manually updated.
To install KB12959506 update on a secondary site:
- Launch the Configuration Manager console.
- Select Administration > Site Configuration > Sites > Recover Secondary Site.
- Select the secondary site. The primary site then reinstalls that secondary site by using the updated files.
Perform Client Upgrade After Installing KB12959506
The ConfigMgr 2111 hotfix KB12959506 updates the production client version to 5.00.9068.1012. You must ensure the client agents are running with the latest version, i.e. 5.00.9068.1012.
The recommended method to update clients after installing KB12959506 is by using the Automatic Client Upgrade feature:
- Launch the SCCM 2111 Console.
- Go to Administration > Site Configuration > Sites.
- Click the Hierarchy Settings in the top ribbon and select the Client Upgrade tab.
- Enable Upgrade all clients in the hierarchy using Production client checkbox.
- Set the required number of days for automatic client upgrade. Click Apply and OK.
If you encounter any issues during the hotfix installation, let me know in the comments section below.