This post is a step-by-step SCCM 1902 upgrade guide that shows how to upgrade to SCCM version 1902 and all the new features added in Configuration Manager 1902 release.
When you upgrade to ConfigMgr 1902, you get the latest fixes and new features added to your site. This guide is updated to included all the information about SCCM 1902 release.
Microsoft released the first current branch version of the year 2019 which is SCCM 1902. This is a production-ready release, and you can now plan to upgrade your SCCM Current Branch environment to the latest 1902 version. The Configuration Manager 1902 is out and comes loaded with new features and improvements over SCCM 1810.
Configuration Manager 1902 includes many new features and improvements. This SCCM 1902 upgrade guide will be part of the SCCM current branch guides as well. You can download all Configuration Manager current branch guides.
Table of Contents
SCCM 1902 Prerequisites Upgrade Checklist
Here are some of the SCCM 1902 prerequisites that you need to look into before you install SCCM 1810 update.
- To install ConfigMgr 1902 update, you must have installed at least SCCM 1802, 1806 or SCCM 1810.
- Ensure that you are running a supported Operating System and SQL version.
- If you’re running a multi-tier hierarchy, start at the top-level site in the hierarchy. First perform the CAS upgrade, later you can begin the upgrade of each child site. Complete the upgrade of each site before you begin to upgrade the next site.
ConfigMgr 1902 Update is Stuck in Downloading State?
In case the ConfigMgr 1902 update gets stuck in downloading state, here is a post to help you – https://www.prajwaldesai.com/fix-sccm-update-stuck-downloading-state/.
Listed below are some common reasons why the SCCM 1902 upgrade prerequisite check fails and the solution to those errors and warnings.
- The site database has a backlog of SQL change tracking data – Solution.
- Configuration Manager Pending System Restart – Solution.
- SQL Server Native Client Version – Solution.
- SCCM Update Stuck at Downloading State – Solution.
- Enable site system roles for HTTPS or SCCM Enhanced HTTP – Solution.
- Recommended version of Microsoft .NET Framework. Warning – Configuration Manager 2203 requires at least .NET version 4.6.2, but recommends the latest version 4.8 – Solution.
- ConfigMgr Database Upgrade Error 0x87d20b15
How to Get Configuration Manager 1902 Update
SCCM 1902 update is generally available. You don’t have to run the Enable Fast Update Ring PowerShell script to get the 1902 update in Configuration Manager console.
Every SCCM update is first made available in fast ring and later the update is rolled out globally. For existing customers, it might take some time to appear in the Updates and Servicing node. However, you will be notified when it is ready to install from the Updates and Servicing node in your Configuration Manager console.
Should I Install SCCM 1810 Hotfixes?
I am certain this is one of the questions that comes to mind before installing version 1902. There were several hotfixes released for SCCM 1810. Each hotfix came with certain fixes, and probably you may not have installed any or installed just few hotfixes. If you are installing update 1902, then you can skip the hotfix installations. The fixes that these hotfixes contained are already included in 1902 update.
In my lab setup notice that I upgraded to Configuration Manager 1902 directly from Configuration Manager 1810. I did not install any hotfix and yet, the upgrade was successful. Therefore, if you have already installed all the hotfixes, you can still upgrade to version 1810.
List of Hotfixes released for Configuration Manager 1810
The following list of hotfixes are released for Configuration Manager version 1810:
- Configuration Manager 1810 Hotfix rollup 2 KB4488598
- SCCM 1810 Hotfix Rollup KB4486457
- SCCM 1810 Hotfix KB4490575
- Configuration Manager 1810 Hotfix KB4490434
Run SCCM 1902 Prerequisite Check
Let’s see the steps to run the prerequisite check for SCCM 1902. In the console, navigate to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing Node. Right click Configuration Manager 1902 update and select Run Prerequisite check.
After you run a prerequisite check, it takes a while to actually begin the prerequisite check. You can monitor the prerequisite checks in Monitoring workspace. In addition, you can also review the ConfigMgrPreReq.log to know the status of prerequisite check. Take a look at a list of all the SCCM log files.
Almost everything was good, but I could see just one warning. Potential SQL server performance issue caused by change tracking retention period. Warning – Configuration Manager detects the site database has a backlog of SQL change tracking data. The solution is documented in the following post.
SCCM 1902 Upgrade
You can perform SCCM 1902 upgrade with following steps:
- Launch SCCM console.
- Navigate to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing Node.
- Right click Configuration Manager 1902 update and select Install Update Pack.
The Configuration Manager 1902 upgrade includes updates for following:
- Configuration Manager site server updates
- Configuration Manager console and client updates.
- Fixes for known issues.
- New Features.
Since the prerequisite check is already run, check the box Ignore any prerequisite check warnings and install this update regardless of missing requirements. Click Next.
Choose either Upgrade without validating or validate in pre-production collection. Click Next.
Click Next on remaining pages and finally click Close on Completion page.
Monitor ConfigMgr 1902 Upgrade
You can monitor SCCM 1902 upgrade with following steps:
- Launch the Configuration Manager console.
- Go to Monitoring workspace and select Overview > Updates and Servicing Status.
- Select the Configuration Manager 1902 update and click Show Status.
You can now see the detailed status for SCCM 1902 upgrade. Keep clicking Refresh button until you see all the steps marked with green check.
After you install the SCCM 1902 update, you must upgrade the SCCM console. Refresh the console or re-open the console. A box appears that says new version of console is available. The console will be upgraded from version 5.1810.1075.1700 to 5.1902.1085.1500. Click OK to begin the console upgrade.
Verify SCCM 1902 Upgrade
You can confirm the SCCM version 1902 upgrade by checking the following details. Launch the console and click on drop-down at top left and click About Configuration Manager. You should see the following details:
- Version 1902
- Console Version: 5.1902.1085.1500
- Site Version: 5.0.8790.1000
Verify SCCM Build Number and Version
Let’s verify SCCM build number and version for 1902 site.
- Version: 5.00.8790.1000
- Build Number: 8790
Update Boot Images
After you complete the Configuration Manager 1902 upgrade, the default Boot images will automatically update to all distribution points. If it’s not updated, you can manually update the boot images using the following procedure.
Use the following steps to update the SCCM boot images to distribution points:
- Launch the Configuration Manager console.
- Go to Software Library > Operating Systems > Boot Images.
- Right-click the boot image and select Update Distribution Points.
Note: You must update both Boot Image (x64) and Boot Image (x86) to distribution points.
Upgrade Configuration Manager Client Agents
Once you complete SCCM 1902 upgrade, you must upgrade the client agents in the hierarchy. You can upgrade client agents using client upgrade feature.
To upgrade SCCM client agents to latest version.
- Go to Administration > Site Configuration > Sites.
- Click the Hierarchy Settings on top ribbon and switch to Client Upgrade tab.
- Check the box Upgrade all clients in hierarchy using production client box is selected.
The new client agent version can be identified under Configuration Manager properties.
You can use the below query to find out the devices without the latest SCCM client version 5.00.8790.1005.
select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ClientVersion != '5.00.8790.1005'
SCCM 1902 Hotfix KB4500232
Update: The SCCM 1902 Hotfix KB4500232 is released for fast ring customers. This hotfix KB4500232 applies only to the initial first wave release of SCCM current branch, version 1902. The hotfix is not applicable for environments that are updated to the globally available (Slow Ring) release of 1902.
The SCCM 1902 hotfix KB4500232 addresses an issue where Management points do not reinstall in Configuration Manager. This error occurs when a management point and the client are located on the same server, and client language packs are installed.
SCCM 1902 Hotfix KB4500571
There is a new hotfix KB4500571 released for SCCM 1902. The KB4500571 rollup applies to both customers who opted in SCCM 1902 via early update ring and customers who installed the globally available release. Click here to know more about this hotfix KB4500571.
SCCM 1902 Baseline Media
The SCCM 1902 baseline media is now available for download in Microsoft evaluation center. Last week the SCCM 1902 update was made globally available to all customers. Here is a guide to install SCCM 1902 using baseline media.
SCCM 1902 Post-Update Checklist
Microsoft recommends a list of post-update checklist after installing a major SCCM update. After SCCM 1902 site updates, use the following checklist to complete common tasks and configurations.
- Confirm version and restart (if necessary)
- Confirm site-to-site replication is active
- Update Configuration Manager consoles
- Reconfigure database replicas for management points
- Reconfigure availability groups
- Reconfigure any disabled maintenance tasks
- Restore hardware inventory customizations
- Restore user state from active deployments
- Update Client Agents
- Check Third-party extensions
- Enable any custom solutions
- Update boot images and media
- Update PowerShell to help content