Welcome to SCCM 1902 upgrade guide. Microsoft released their first SCCM current branch version of the year 2019 i.e. SCCM 1902 today. The Configuration Manager 1902 is out and comes loaded with new features and improvements over SCCM 1810.
Most of all you can begin upgrading your SCCM current branch setup to version 1902. I can see lot of user voice items have also been baked in SCCM 1902. So pretty much excited to upgrade my Configuration Manager current branch to version 1902.
You can read about all Configuration Manager 1902 features here. This SCCM 1902 Upgrade guide will be part of my SCCM current branch guides as well. Click here to download all Configuration Manager current branch guides.
SCCM 1902 Prerequisites
Here are some of the SCCM 1902 prerequisites that you need to look into before you install SCCM 1810 update.
- To install ConfigMgr 1902 update, you must have installed at least SCCM 1802, 1806 or SCCM 1810.
- Ensure that you are running a supported Operating System and SQL version.
- If you’re running a multi-tier hierarchy, start at the top-level site in the hierarchy. First perform the CAS upgrade, later you can begin the upgrade of each child site. Complete the upgrade of each site before you begin to upgrade the next site.
How to get Configuration Manager 1902 Update
We have seen in this past that every SCCM update is rolled out globally. For existing customers it might take some time to appear in the Updates and Servicing node. However you will be notified when it is ready to install from the “Updates and Servicing” node in your Configuration Manager console.
In my lab setup, I had to run a fast update ring script to quickly get the 1902 update. The PowerShell script can be downloaded by clicking this link.
Should I install SCCM 1810 Hotfixes first ?
I am sure this is one of the question that comes to mind before installing version 1902. There were several hotfixes released for SCCM 1810. Each hotfix came with certain fixes and probably you may not have installed any or installed just few hotfixes. If you are installing update 1902, then you can skip the hotfix installations. The fixes that these hotfixes contained are already included in 1902 update.
In my lab setup notice that I upgraded to Configuration Manager 1902 directly from Configuration Manager 1810. I did not install any hotfix and yet the upgrade was successful. Therefore if you have already installed all the hotfixes, you can still install update 1902.
Here are the list of SCCM 1810 Hotfixes.
- Configuration Manager 1810 Hotfix rollup 2 KB4488598 – Link
- SCCM 1810 Hotfix Rollup KB4486457 – Link
- SCCM 1810 Hotfix KB4490575 – Link
- Configuration Manager 1810 Hotfix KB4490434 – Link
SCCM 1902 Prerequisite Check
Back to main topic. After running the PowerShell script, I had to restart SMSEXEC service and I could see the Configuration Manager 1902 update. Before installing the update, I ran a prerequisite check.
Almost everything was good but I could see just one warning. Potential SQL server performance issue caused by change tracking retention period. Warning – Configuration Manager detects the site database has a backlog of SQL change tracking data. I have blogged about this warning in this post.
SCCM 1902 Upgrade Guide
To start the SCCM 1902 Upgrade Process
- Launch SCCM console.
- Navigate to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing Node.
- Right click Configuration Manager 1902 update and click Install Update Pack.
Note that SCCM 1902 includes updates for following:-
- Configuration Manager site server updates
- Configuration Manager console and client updates.
- Fixes for known issues.
- New Features.
I will check the box “Ignore any prerequisite check warnings and install this update regardless of missing requirements”. Click Next.
Choose either Upgrade without validating or validate in pre-production collection. Click Next.
Click Next on remaining pages and finally click Close on Completion page.
Monitoring Update Installation
While the SCCM 1902 update is installation, you can monitor installation progress.
To monitor the update installation
- Go to Monitoring node.
- Click Overview > Updates and Servicing Status.
- Select the Configuration Manager 1902 update and click Show Status.
You can now see the detailed status for SCCM 1902 installation. Keep clicking Refresh button until you see all the steps marked with green check.
After the update installation, it’s time to upgrade the SCCM console. Refresh the console or re-open the console. A box appears that says new version of console is available. The console will be upgraded from version 5.1810.1075.1700 to 5.1902.1085.1500. Click OK to begin the console upgrade.
Verify Update Installation
The console upgrade completed successfully. Click on drop-down at top left and click About Configuration Manager. This should show following details.
- Version 1902
- Console Version – 5.1902.1085.1500
- Site Version – 5.0.8790.1000
Checking the SCCM site properties should show :-
- Version – 5.00.8790.1000
- Build Number – 8790
Update Boot Images
Once you complete Configuration Manager 1902 upgrade, the next steps are :-
- Update Boot Images to all the distribution points.
- Update Configuration Manager client package to all DP’s if they are not updated. You can check the content status to see last update.
Upgrade Configuration Manager Client Agents
Once you complete SCCM 1902 upgrade, you must upgrade the client agents in the hierarchy. You can upgrade client agents using client upgrade feature
To upgrade SCCM client agents to latest version.
- Go to Administration > Site Configuration > Sites.
- Click the Hierarchy Settings on top ribbon.
- Select Client Upgrade tab.
- Make sure that Upgrade all clients in hierarchy using production client box is selected.
- You also also choose to not upgrade servers.
Agent upgrade has begun and I see the new client agent version under Configuration Manager properties.
select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ClientVersion != '5.00.8790.1005'
SCCM 1902 Hotfix KB4500232
Update – The SCCM 1902 Hotfix KB4500232 is released for fast ring customers. This hotfix KB4500232 applies only to the initial first wave release of SCCM current branch, version 1902. The hotfix is not applicable for environments that are updated to the globally available (Slow Ring) release of 1902.
The SCCM 1902 hotfix KB4500232 addresses an issue where Management points do not reinstall in Configuration Manager. This error occurs when a management point and the client are located on the same server, and client language packs are installed.
SCCM 1902 Hotfix KB4500571
There is a new hotfix KB4500571 released for SCCM 1902. The KB4500571 rollup applies to both customers who opted in SCCM 1902 via early update ring and customers who installed the globally available release. Click here to know more about this hotfix KB4500571.
SCCM 1902 Baseline Media
The SCCM 1902 baseline media is now available for download in Microsoft evaluation center. Last week the SCCM 1902 update was made globally available to all customers. Here is a guide to install SCCM 1902 using baseline media.