The SCCM 2002 update is available as an in-console update. This upgrade guide helps you to upgrade to SCCM 2002 on sites running SCCM version 1806 or later.
Most of all if you are installing SCCM 2002 on a new site, it’s also available as a baseline version. This post summarizes the changes and new features in Configuration Manager version 2002.
Configuration Manager 2002 Servicing Support
Configuration Manager 2002 is the first current branch release of year 2020. When you see a new update version, it remains in support for 18 months from its general availability release date.
With Configuration Manager 2002 update, the product will receive Security and Critical updates for first four months. And for next 14 months, it will receive only Security Updates. The below SCCM servicing support pic should give you a clear idea of servicing phases.
SCCM 2002 New Features
There are several new features in SCCM 2002 update. Most of the features were already part of technical preview builds. You can read about all the new features of Configuration Manager 2002 here.
For now I will be listing some of the update 2002 new features. In a separate post, I will be covering all the new features in detail.
- Remove a central administration site
- Several new management insight rules
- The administration service automatically uses the site’s self-signed certificate
- Proxy support for Azure Active Directory discovery and group sync
- Token-based authentication for cloud management gateway
- Critical status message ID 11488 shows up when server connection errors to required endpoints
- Desktop Analytics Connection Health dashboard shows client connection issues
- CMPivot Improvements
- Boundary Groups – Exclude certain subnets for peer content download
- Client log collection – Collect SCCM log files from remote client computer
- Shiny Microsoft Edge management dashboard
- Wake up a device from the central administration site
- Task sequence as an app model deployment type
- Task Sequence and OSD improvements
- Orchestration groups enhancements
- Improvements to BitLocker Management
- Integrate PowerBI report server with Configuration Manager
- Attach Files during feedback
SCCM 2002 Upgrade Prerequisites Checklist
Here are some of the prerequisites checklist that you need to look into before you install Configuration Manager current branch 2002 update.
- Update 2002 for Configuration Manager current branch is available as an in-console update.
- Yes, there is SCCM 2002 baseline version also available.
- To apply this update on your sites, ensure you have installed SCCM version 1806 or later.
- If you’re running a multi-tier hierarchy, start at the top-level site in the hierarchy. First perform the CAS upgrade, later you can begin the upgrade of each child site. Complete the upgrade of each site before you begin to upgrade the next site.
- Ensure that you are running a supported Operating System and SQL Server version.
- If you’re running SCCM version older than 1806, check the SCCM In-place upgrade paths.
- After you upgrade your site to 2002, you must also update clients to the latest version. In the last section, I will cover how to upgrade client agents in your hierarchy.
Install SCCM 1910 Hotfixes ?
I believe there were lot of hotfixes released for SCCM 1910. Probably you may not have installed any or installed just few hotfixes. You might see some 1910 hotfixes still in the console. Should you install these hotfixes first and then install SCCM 2002 update or can these hotfixes be skipped ?.
Answer – A hotfix contain either one individual fix or a bundle (a rollup of fixes). All the hotfixes released for Configuration Manager 1910 will be included in SCCM 2002. So if you see any hotfixes in your console while installing version 2002, you may skip them and directly install 2002 update.
Get Configuration Manager 2002 Update
First of all the Configuration Manager 2002 update will not be available for everyone yet. If you have been installing these updates, you would know why. Usually it take few weeks for the Configuration Manager update 2002 to get rolled out globally.
Some organizations prefer to wait until the update it’s made globally available or when it made available to slow ring. There is an advantage behind the wait. In case any bugs are reported, Microsoft fixes them and it will be part of global release.
However if you decide to upgrade to SCCM 2002, you can run the EnableEarlyUpdateRing 2002 script to enable fast ring for 2002 update package in ConfigMgr.
You can download the EnableEarlyUpdateRing 2002 PowerShell script by clicking this link. Running this script will get the update 2002 in the console.
On your SCCM server, run the PowerShell as administrator and run the script. Enter the site server name (Top level site server name or IP address) and script gets the update 2002 in console for you.
After you run the above script, you don’t need to restart SMS_EXECUTIVE service. However if you don’t see the update downloading in the console, you can go ahead and restart the service.
In my case, the ConfigMgr 2002 update is in downloading state and has a package GUID AA9975F2-160A-4910-A698-B7A4AF35D727.
Tip – When the download completes, the update state changes from Downloading to Ready to Install.
You can monitor the update download by opening dmpdownloader.log file. At this point if your SCCM 2002 update gets stuck in downloading state, here is a post to help you – https://www.prajwaldesai.com/fix-sccm-update-stuck-downloading-state/.
SCCM 2002 Prerequisite Check
Before installing the update 2002, I recommend you to run SCCM 2002 Prerequisite check.
- Launch the SCCM console.
- Navigate to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing Node.
- Right click Configuration Manager 2002 update and click Run Prerequisite check.
Open the ConfigMgrPrereq.log file to monitor the Prerequisite check process. Look for this line Prerequisite checking is completed.
In the console, we see the Configuration Manager 2002 prerequisite check passed successfully. I did not see any errors or warnings which is a good thing.
Listed below are some of common reasons why the SCCM 2002 prerequisite check could fail. Click the Solution to fix the issues.
- The site database has a backlog of SQL change tracking data – Solution.
- Configuration Manager Pending System Restart – Solution.
- SQL Server Native Client Version – Solution.
Perform SCCM 2002 Upgrade / Install SCCM 2002 Update
To begin the Configuration Manager 2002 Upgrade process
- Launch Configuration Manager console.
- Navigate to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing Node.
- Right click Configuration Manager 2002 update and click Install Update Pack.
The Configuration Manager version 2002 includes :-
- Configuration Manager site server updates
- Configuration Manager console and client updates
- Fixes for known issues
- New features
You can enable the new features post installing the update. Click Next.
Monitor SCCM 2002 Update Installation Status
To monitor the SCCM 2002 update installation
- In ConfigMgr Console, go to Monitoring node.
- Click Overview > Updates and Servicing Status.
- Select the Configuration Manager 2002 update and click Show Status.
SCCM 2002 Console Upgrade
To get the SCCM 2002 console upgrade box, either refresh the ConfigMgr console or close and re-open it. The new version of console 5.2002.1083.1700 will be installed over old console version 5.1910.1067.2100. Click OK to proceed with console upgrade.
Verify Configuration Manager 2002 Upgrade
In the Configuration Manager console, click drop-down at top left corner of console and click About Configuration Manager. This should show following details.
- Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager Version 2002
- Console Version – 5.2002.1083.1700
- Site Version – 5.0.8968.1000
Next, check the primary site properties. You should see version as 5.00.8968.1000 and build number as 8968.
Update Boot Images to Distribution Points
The Configuration Manager 2002 update installation is complete. Now you must update SCCM boot images to all the distribution points in your setup.
In the console, navigate to Software Library > Operating Systems > Boot Images. Right click Boot Image and click Update Distribution Points. Repeat the same for x86 boot image as well.
ConfigMgr 2002 Client Upgrade
As mentioned in the beginning of this post, after you update the site, update client agents to latest version. I am covering this because sometimes the admins skip this step and as a result, after the upgrade, they don’t see the new features. You can upgrade client agents using client upgrade feature.
To upgrade SCCM client agents to latest version.
- Go to Administration > Site Configuration > Sites.
- Click the Hierarchy Settings on top ribbon. Select Client Upgrade tab.
- Ensure Upgrade all clients in hierarchy using production client box is selected.
- Specify the number of days within which you want to automatically upgrade client agents.
- Click OK.
Furthermore you can use the below query to find out the devices without the latest SCCM client version 5.00.8968.1008.
select SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceID,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceType,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Name,SMS_R_SYSTEM.SMSUniqueIdentifier,SMS_R_SYSTEM.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,SMS_R_SYSTEM.Client from SMS_R_System where SMS_R_System.ClientVersion != '5.00.8968.1008'