The ConfigMgr Technical Preview 2007 is out. Yes the SCCM technical preview 2007 is a new baseline version that’s available for download in Microsoft Evaluation center.
You can find some new features in SCCM technical preview 2007 release. So let’s see what this update brings with it.
I am publishing this post bit late because my job is keeping me occupied most of the time. I admit I didn’t find enough time to test all the new features included with technical preview 2007 release.
You can test out the technical preview builds in an isolated setup or probably in your lab setup. Technical Preview builds shouldn’t be used in production at any cost.
Like the current branch builds, the technical preview builds also have a baseline version. You install a SCCM tech preview baseline version first and on top of that you install the latest builds.
ConfigMgr Technical preview 2007 is the latest baseline version and you can download it from Microsoft Evaluation Center.
SCCM Technical Preview 2007 New Features
Some of the new features included with ConfigMgr technical preview 2007 are as follows.
- View hardware inventory in Microsoft Endpoint Manager admin center – Hardware inventory can now be viewed for a tenant attached Configuration Manager device in the admin center.
- Improvements to client data sources dashboard – In the client data sources dashboard you get a selection of filters to view information about where clients get content.
- Fixed-width font now used in some console areas – Various areas in the Configuration Manager console now use the fixed-width font Consolas. This font provides consistent spacing and makes it easier to read.
- Manage task sequence policy size – Configuration Manager restricts the following actions for a task sequence that’s greater than 2 MB in size :-
- Save changes in the task sequence editor
- Save changes with PowerShell cmdlets
- Import a new task sequence
- Any other change using supported SDK methods
- Improvements to device timeline in the admin center – A new feature where you get to see additional events to the device timeline in the admin center. You can now see the following events:
- Event ID 20227 for VPN failure from the RAS client
- Event ID 20009 for MP communication roundtrip from Microsoft-ConfigMgr
Install ConfigMgr Technical Preview 2007
You can install Configuration Technical preview 2007 using the below steps.
- Launch the ConfigMgr console.
- Go to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing node.
- Right click Configuration Manager Technical Preview 2007 and click Install Update Pack.
- You may skip the Run Prerequisite check step because this is a technical preview build.
Since we skipped the prerequisite check step, I am going to ignore any prerequisite check warnings. Click Next.
You may enable the new features later. Click Next.
Accept the license terms and click Next.
On the Completion page, click Close.
Finally after the update installs, refresh the console once. A console upgrade box appears. Click OK to begin the console upgrade.
Wait while the console upgrades and once it’s done launch the Configuration Manager console. You are now ready to test all the new ConfigMgr technical preview 2007 features.