A new hotfix KB4553501 is available for admins who opted in through a PowerShell script to the early update ring deployment for ConfigMgr 2002 (SCCM 2002).
Hotfix KB4553501 is the first ConfigMgr 2002 update. You can access the update in the Updates and Servicing node of the Configuration Manager console.
If you have opted for SCCM 2002 using early update ring, this hotfix update should be available in the console. However you may manually check for updates if you don’t see the update.
The hotfix KB4553501 appears in the ConfigMgr 2002 console with package GUID – 478F6E36-F23E-4186-B801-CE0EF0435D7A.
SCCM 2002 is also available as baseline media version. So if you wish to install SCCM from scratch you can download the media.
About SCCM 2002 Hotfix KB4553501
The hotfix KB4553501 update addresses important, late-breaking issues that were resolved after version 2002 became available globally.
Click the following link to read about the complete list of fixes covered in KB 4553501.
Note – This SCCM 2002 hotfix update does not apply to sites that downloaded version 2002 on May 11, 2020, or a later date. Therefore, it won’t be listed in the Configuration Manager console for those sites.
You must first install this update on a primary sites. The pre-existing secondary sites must be manually updated. Most of all you don’t need to restart server post installing this hotfix.
Issues fixed in ConfigMgr 2002 KB4553501
Listing some of the important fixes part of update KB4553501.
- A computer restart initiated from Software Center on a client will fail if a Windows Servicing Stack Update (SSU) was installed with other updates.
- The Desktop Analytics dashboard may show stale data up to 12 hours while duplicate devices are in the environment.
- The SMS Agent Host process (CCMExec.exe) may cause high CPU and memory utilization when the computer is not a member of an orchestration group.
- Administrators cannot run CMPivot scripts without having default scope access.
- The tenant attach process fails if the SMS Provider is installed remotely from the site database server.
In addition to the above list, KB4561494 is also a part of this hotfix. The KB4561494 addresses an issue where Microsoft Edge application creation fails in Configuration Manager.
Install Configuration Manager 2002 Hotfix KB4553501
Use the below steps to install SCCM 2002 Hotfix KB4553501
- Launch Configuration Manager console.
- Navigate to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing.
- Right-click Configuration Manager 2002 Hotfix (KB4553501).
- Click Install Update Pack.
Note – I recommend running a prerequisite check first if you are installing this hotfix on your Configuration Manager 2002 production server.
The ConfigMgr 2002 update includes :-
- Configuration Manager site server and console updates.
- Configuration Manager client updates.
Choose the client update option and click Next.
On the License Terms page, accept the license terms and click Next.
On the completion window, click Close.
You can monitor the hotfix installation by going to Monitoring workspace. Right click the update and click Show Status.
ConfigMgr 2002 Console upgrade
Finally before we complete the update installation, let’s perform the console upgrade.
To install the new console version, you can either click install the new console version on the notification bar or refresh the console. It’s almost same thing.
I can say that console upgrade process is pretty smooth. At least when compared to previous releases.
After console upgrade, check About Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager.
- Version – 2002
- Console Version – 5.2002.1083.2000
- Site version – 5.0.8968.1000