The ConfigMgr 2002 Hotfix KB4553501 is a globally available release that contains the fixes for the early update ring release. The KB4553501 update addresses important, late-breaking issues that were resolved after SCCM 2002 became available globally.
In this article, I will explain the new fixes included with the hotfix KB4553501 released for Configuration Manager 2002 and will also cover the steps to install the hotfix.
Configuration Manager 2002 is generally available, and you can begin upgrading your sites to version 2002 from the console. You can upgrade to Configuration Manager version 2002 if you are running the versions SCCM 1806 and above.
SCCM 2002 is a baseline version, and you can also use to install new sites in your hierarchy. Use the following guides as reference for installing SCCM 2002.
The ConfigMgr 2002 hotfix KB4553501 is available for admins who opted in through a PowerShell script to the early update ring deployment for version 2002. The KB4553501 is the first hotfix released for SCCM 2002 version. You can access this update in the Updates and Servicing node of the Configuration Manager console.
If you have opted for SCCM 2002 using the early update ring, this hotfix update should be available in the console. If you don’t see the update, you can manually check for updates. The hotfix KB4553501 appears in the ConfigMgr 2002 console with package GUID:478F6E36-F23E-4186-B801-CE0EF0435D7A.
About SCCM 2002 Hotfix KB4553501
The hotfix KB4553501 update addresses important, late-breaking issues that were resolved after version 2002 became available globally. Click the following link to read about the complete list of fixes covered in KB 4553501.
Note: This SCCM 2002 hotfix update does not apply to sites that downloaded version 2002 on May 11, 2020, or a later date. Therefore, it won’t be listed in the Configuration Manager console for those sites.
You must first install this update on a primary site. The pre-existing secondary sites must be manually updated. Most of all, you don’t need to restart the server post-installing this hotfix.
Issues fixed in ConfigMgr 2002 Hotfix KB4553501
This is a list of some of the critical fixes that are part of update KB4553501:
- A computer restart initiated from the Software Center on a client will fail if a Windows Servicing Stack Update (SSU) was installed with other updates.
- The Desktop Analytics dashboard may show stale data for up to 12 hours while duplicate devices are in the environment.
- The SMS Agent Host process (CCMExec.exe) may cause high CPU and memory utilization when the computer is not a member of an orchestration group.
- Administrators cannot run CMPivot scripts without having default scope access.
- The tenant attach process fails if the SMS Provider is installed remotely from the site database server.
In addition to the above list, KB4561494 is also included with the KB4553501 hotfix. The KB4561494 addresses an issue where Microsoft Edge application creation fails in Configuration Manager.
Install ConfigMgr 2002 Hotfix KB4553501
Use the following steps to install SCCM 2002 hotfix KB4553501.
- Launch the Configuration Manager console.
- Navigate to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing.
- Right-click Configuration Manager 2002 Hotfix (KB4553501) and select “Install Update Pack.”
Note: I recommend running a prerequisite check first if you are installing this hotfix on your Configuration Manager 2002 production server.
The ConfigMgr 2002 update includes the updates for following components.
- Configuration Manager site server and console updates.
- Configuration Manager client updates.
Choose the desired client update option and click Next.
On the License Terms page, accept the license terms and click Next.
Review the settings of the hotfix on the Summary page and click Next.
In the completion window, click Close. This completes the steps to install ConfigMgr 2002 Hotfix KB4553501.
You can monitor the hotfix installation by going to Monitoring workspace. Right-click the Configuration Manager 2002 Hotfix (KB4553501) update and click “Show Status.”
ConfigMgr 2002 Console upgrade
In this section, I will show you how to upgrade the console to the latest version. You must update the console because the hotfix KB4553501 contains fixes for the console. To install the new version, either select Install the new console version from the notification bar or simply refresh the console.
I can say that the process of upgrading a console is fairly easy. At least when compared to previous releases. After a console upgrade, check About Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager.
- Console Version-5.2002.1083.2000
- Site version-5.0.8968.1000