The SCCM technical preview version 2005 is out and comes with lots of new features. Most of the new features in ConfigMgr Technical Preview 2205 are related to tenant attach.
This is the 7th technical preview release of the year 2020. It’s always interesting to learn what new features are included with each update. To know more about all previous technical preview releases and build numbers, read the following post: https://www.prajwaldesai.com/sccm-configuration-manager-technical-preview-build-numbers/
If you are running ConfigMgr technical preview 2004 in your lab setup, you can install the update 2005 from the updates and servicing node.
You can also test new features, enable them, and give Microsoft feedback at any time. Refer to the following article to learn about all the new features in ConfigMgr technical preview 2005.
So, I will first cover the new features in SCCM technical preview 2005 and then I will show you how to upgrade to version 2005.
New features in SCCM Technical Preview 2005
Listing some of the SCCM technical preview 2005’s outstanding new features.
- Improvements to the content library cleanup tool – The content library cleanup tool in delete mode can also remove orphaned content records from the WMI provider on a distribution point.
- Remove the command prompt during the Windows 10 in-place upgrade.
- Improvements to BitLocker task sequence steps: You can now specify the disk encryption mode on the Enable BitLocker and Pre-provision BitLocker task sequence steps.
- If you configure Azure services to cloud-attach your site, the SCCM console now displays notifications. This includes when one or more Azure AD app secret keys are about to expire and one or more Azure AD app secret keys have expired.
- Report setup and upgrade failures to Microsoft by using the Report update error to Microsoft option available in the console.
- The SCCM technical preview 2005 release includes several new and improved Windows PowerShell cmdlets for the cloud management gateway (CMG).
- Task Sequence Media can now download cloud-based content.
- Azure AD authentication in the Software Center.
- To simplify managing remote clients, you can now create a new boundary type for VPNs.
- Tenant Attachments: You can now run scripts from the admin center and launch CMPivot from the admin center. In addition to that, you can install an application from the admin center.
Install Technical Preview 2005 of SCCM
Let’s see how to install the ConfigMgr Technical Preview 2005 update. Launch the SCCM console. Go to Administration > Updates and Servicing node. Right-click Configuration Manager Technical Preview 2005 and click Install Update Pack.
The Configuration Manager technical preview update 2005 includes site server and console updates. Plus client updates, fixes for known issues and new features.
Since I am installing the update on my tech preview lab, I will select ignore prerequisite warnings. Click Next.
You can enable the new features later, so click Next.
Select Upgrade without validating and click Next.
On the Completion page, click Close.
Sit back and relax while the update installs. Finally you should see a console upgrade box, click yes to upgrade the SCCM console.
The Configuration Manager technical preview 2005 update installation is complete.