This post is a Step-by-Step SCCM 1802 Install guide using Baseline Media. I was waiting for SCCM 1802 baseline media to be released so that I can create a step-by-step SCCM 1802 install guide. The last time that I created a bunch of step by step guides was for SCCM 2012 R2. I will try my best to add all the information in just one post. Basically I don’t want to split the info into parts because I know it is time consuming and sometimes confusing as well.
SCCM 1802 Intro – We know that update 1802 for Configuration Manager current branch is available as an in-console update. Here is my post that shows how to install SCCM 1802 update. There are lot of new features and fixes in SCCM 1802. You can apply this update on sites that run version 1702, 1706, or 1710. However if you are installing SCCM for a new site, SCCM 1802 is now available as a baseline version.
Who can use this guide – A lot of people had requested me to prepare a SCCM 1802 install guide. This is to install and get some hands on SCCM CB in lab setup. If you are working as sys admin, SCCM admin or any profession that requires you to work on SCCM, this guide should help you. I understand that not everyone wants to try something new on prod setup directly. Though you might have access to SCCM running in your prod setup, who would want to make changes without approval ?. So the best thing is to have SCCM installed on your lab setup so that you can try out things by yourself.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Lab Setup
So here is what my SCCM 1802 lab setup includes. You can either use Hyper-V or VMware as hypervisor. If you want to add more client operating systems in your setup, feel free to do so. I will be using Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter as operating system for installing SCCM and other roles. That’s my choice and I still love 2012 R2 OS. You can use Windows Server 2016 if you want to.
|Virtual Machine Name||Operating System||Roles||Specs|
|CORPAD.PRAJWAL.LOCAL||Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter||Active Directory, DNS, DHCP||2GB Memory, 60GB HDD|
|CORPSCCM.PRAJWAL.LOCAL||Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter||Primary Site Server||12GB Memory, 120GB HDD for OS, 120GB HDD for SCCM Content|
|CORPWIN7.PRAJWAL.LOCAL||Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise x64||Client||2GB Memory, 60GB HDD|
|CORPWIN10.PRAJWAL.LOCAL||Windows 10 1709 Enterprise x64||Client||2GB Memory, 60GB HDD|
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Required Softwares
I will also be covering more things in SCCM 1802 install guide. We won’t be installing SCCM 1802 directly. There are some softwares that are required and here are the list of some of them.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter – You can get this OS if you have access to VLSC or MSDN subscription. If you don’t have both you can straight away get it from Microsoft Evaluation Center. You can try all the features for 180 days. The eval file types are available as Azure, ISO, Virtual Lab, VHD. You can download ISO file for installing it in lab setup.
- Windows 10 and Windows 7 – You can get the eval editions of Windows 10 and Windows 7 from here.
- System Center Configuration Manager and Endpoint Protection (current branch – version 1802) – Get the eval version from here.
- Windows ADK – The latest version of ADK is 1709 and you can download it from here.
- SQL Server – We will be using the latest version of SQL Server 2017 – Enterprise edition. You can get the eval version from here. Other SQL server support versions are listed here.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Installing Prerequisites
Here are some the steps that should be performed before you install SCCM. These are mandatory and if you miss any of them, you might see errors or warning during final setup.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Creating the System Management Container
First of all we will create the “System Management” container and we will assign the SCCM server full permissions on it. This is required for SCCM server to create objects under the system container.
Follow the below steps to create System Management container.
- Login to domain controller. Click Server Manager, Tools, click ADSI Edit.
- Right click ADSI Edit and click Connect to.
- On the Connection Settings window, the naming context should be Default naming context. Click OK.
- Expand Default Naming Context. Right click CN=System. Click New and create an Object.
- Select the class as container and click on Next.
- Name it as System Management.
- Click Next and click Finish to close the wizard.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Grant SCCM Server Permissions on System Management Container
After you create System Management container, you must delegate SCCM server full permissions on System Management container. To do so follow the below steps.
- Launch Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Click View and click Advanced Features.
- Expand System, right click System Management and click Delegate Control.
- Click Add. On select users, computers or groups window click on Object Types and check for Computers as object types. Click OK.
- Type the name of the primary site server computer account and click OK.
- Add primary site server computer account and Click Next.
- On the Tasks to Delegate page, click Create a custom task to delegate. Click Next.
- Select This folder, existing objects in this folder and creation of new objects in this folder. Click Next.
- Select General, Property Specific and Creation/deletion of specific child objects.
- Under permissions, click Full Control. When you check the box Full Control, all the other permissions gets checked automatically.
- Click Next and click Finish to close the wizard.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Extending Active Directory Schema
We will now see the steps to extend the Active Directory Schema using extadsch utility. To extend Schema, use an account that is a member of the Schema Admins security group. Be signed in to the schema master domain controller.
- Locate the extadsch which can be found in SMSSETUP\BIN\X64 of the configuration manager setup DVD.
- Hold the shift key on your keyboard and right click extadsch and click on Copy as Path.
- Launch the command prompt. Right click and click paste and hit enter.
- You should see the line Successfully extended the Active Directory Schema.
- Open the log file extadsch.log located in the root of the system drive. You should see the line “Successfully extended the Active Directory Schema”.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Enabling Web Server Role
Based on OS that you use, Microsoft lists prerequisites for SCCM site and site system servers. You can take a look at the post if you are using OS older than server 2012.
To enable Web server role and other features, login to SCCM server. Click Server Manager, click Manage, click Add Roles and Features. Click Select a server from the server pool and click Next. Select Web Server (IIS) server role and click Next.
Enable/Install the following features :-
- .Net Framework 3.5 Features [Install all sub features]
- .Net Framework 4.5 Features [Install all sub features]
- Remote Differential Compression
Enable/Install the following Roles Services :-
- Common HTTP Features – Default Document, Static Content.
- Application Development – .NET Extensibility 3.5, ASP.NET 3.5, ISAPI extensions, ASP.NET 4.5 and .NET Extensibility 4.5
- Security – Windows Authentication.
- IIS 6 Management Compatibility – IIS Management Console, IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility, IIS 6 WMI Compatibility, IIS Management Scripts and Tools.
Complete the installation of all the features and role services and close the wizard.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Installing Windows ADK 1709
When you deploy operating systems with Configuration Manager, the Windows ADK is required. ADK is a collection of tools that you can use to customize, assess, and deploy Windows OS to new computers. The latest version is ADK version 1709. It is always good to download ADK offline so that it can installed quickly. To download and install ADK offline refer this post.
Perform the below steps to Install Windows ADK 1709 for SCCM 1802. We will be installing ADK on SCCM server.
- Right click adksetup executable and click Run as Administrator.
- Choose the default installation path and click Next.
- Select Deployment Tools, Windows Preinstallation Environment and User State Migration Tool.
- Click Install. After ADK is installed click Close.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Installing SQL Server 2017
We will now look at the steps to install SQL Server 2017 for SCCM 1802. For supported SQL version for SCCM 1802, refer this post. We will be installing SQL server 2017 Enterprise x64 version. Each Configuration Manager site requires a supported SQL Server version and configuration to host the site database. For CAS and Primary sites, SQL Server can be located on site server computer or on computer that is remote from the site server.
If you are installing SQL 2017 ensure you also install CU2 update. This update contains the fixes listed here. You can first install SQL server 2017 and then install cumulative update 2. I assume you install the CU2 after installing SQL server 2017.
Note – If you install SQL server 2016 and above, by default SQL management studio is not installed on the machine. Microsoft decided to split the installation of management studio from the main SQL server installation. Probably the idea behind is to manage your SQL servers remotely. Read this post for more info.
Launch the SQL server setup (run as administrator). On the installation window, click Installation and then click New SQL server stand-alone installation.
Complete the remaining steps. Close the setup wizard and reboot the server once.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Installing SQL Server Management Studio
In the next step we will download and install SQL Server Management Studio on primary site server. Download the latest version of SSMS from here. Run the SSMS executable as administrator. Installation is simple, just click Install and wait for installation to complete. A reboot is required after installation.
SCCM 1802 Install Guide – Install WSUS Role
If you are planning to deploy updates using SCCM, then WSUS is required. I will not get into more details here, you can read this post to understand more.
To install WSUS on Windows Server 2012 R2, launch Server Manager. Click Manage, click Add Roles and Features. Select Windows Server Update Services and click Next.
Specify the database server where you want to store the WSUS database. Enter the server name and click Check connection. You must see the message Successfully connected to server. Click on Next. Complete the remaining steps and wait for installation to complete.
SCCM 1802 – Installing Reporting Services
When you install SQL server 2017, it doesn’t include reporting services. You have to download and install it separately. Download SQL server reporting services 2017 from here.
Run the setup and click Install Reporting Services.
Once the setup is complete, click Restart.
SCCM 1802 – Configuring Firewall Settings
Your firewall has to be configured properly so that you don’t face issues while deploying client agents. If there is a firewall between the site system servers and the client computer, confirm whether the firewall permits traffic for the ports that are required for the client installation.
- File and Printer Sharing.
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI).
You also need to create a group policy to open TCP ports 1433 and 4022. Refer the following post to configure firewall settings for SCCM 1802.
Step-by-Step SCCM 1802 Install Guide via Baseline Media
Finally we have installed all the SCCM 1802 prerequisites. To install SCCM 1802 current branch, follow these steps. Mount the 1802 CB media and run the splash HTML application located inside media. This will bring up window to install the configuration manager. Click Install.
In the next step, Configuration Manager setup checks whether all prerequisites are installed correctly. If any of the prerequisite is not installed it would be displayed. If all the prerequisites are installed correctly then you will see the message “All prerequisites rules pass successfully”. Click Begin Install.
To monitor the installation, you can view the setup log file with a tool called CMTrace. Launch the CMTrace tool, open the log file ConfigMgrSetup.log located in C drive.
Wohoo SCCM 1802 installation is completed successfully. Click Close.
Version – 1802
Console Version – 5.1802.1082.1800
Site Version – 5.0.8634.1000