The ConfigMgr 2103 hotfix rollup KB10036164 has been released, and over 30 issues are addressed in this update. The SCCM 2103 hotfix KB10036164 is for customers who installed the globally available release or who were early adopters.
The SCCM 2103 hotfix rollup KB10036164 should be available in the Updates and Servicing node of the ConfigMgr console. If you don’t see the hotfix in the console, run Check for Updates from the console.
The hotfix KB10036164 applies to Configuration Manager 2103 installations only. If you are running an older version of SCCM, ensure you upgrade to SCCM 2103 to apply the hotfix.
Following is the list of hotfixes released for ConfigMgr 2103 so far.
- ConfigMgr 2103 Hotfix KB9603111
- ConfigMgr 2103 Hotfix KB9833643
- Configuration Manager 2103 Hotfix KB9210721
The hotfix rollup KB10036164 for ConfigMgr 2103 contains the following updates included.
- KB9603111: Update for Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager version 2103, early update ring.
- KB9833643: Console update for Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager version 2103.
If you haven’t already installed hotfixes KB9603111 and KB9833643 on your SCCM 2103 server, you can skip them and go straight to hotfix KB10036164. The SCCM KB10036164 rollup update doesn’t require a computer restart, but once it’s installed, it will reset the SCCM site. After you install this update, you will not see any old hotfixes as they are replaced by KB10036164.
Fixes Included in SCCM 2103 Hotfix Rollup KB10036164
The following fixes are included in hotfix rollup KB10036164.
- The OSD over cloud management gateway may fail if the management point is configured for Internet-only communication.
- A SCCM 2103 task sequence may fail to complete if the content location lookup returns 0x8000000a (E_PENDING).
- Applications don’t upgrade as expected when the option Automatically upgrade any superseded versions of this application is enabled.
- Selecting the Task Sequences node after selecting the References tab in deployment details causes the console to terminate unexpectedly.
- The Import-CMQuery PowerShell cmdlet fails with a MOF compilation error after updating to Configuration Manager version 2103.
- Task sequences that run with the Run as high-performance power plan option enabled due not revert to the previously defined power plan when complete.
- Applications do not appear as expected in Software Center if there is a single quotation mark in the Keywords field of the application’s properties.
- ConfigMgr Client installation from a SCCM CMG fails if the client is unable to contact the internal management point.
- Content for Microsoft updates fails to download if an Alternate Content Provider is in use. And the client switches to a different network during the download process with error code 0x80004004.
- The Apply Operating System task fails if you set the option Logical drive letter stored in a variable under the Destination field to the variable _OSDDetectedWinDrive.
- The SMS Executive Service (smsexec.exe) terminates unexpectedly for either of the following reasons.
- If a request timeout occurs during the Azure Active Directory group discovery process.
- During rule processing if an automatic deployment rule (ADR) contains fewer than two rule actions.
- Deployment of an operating system image may fail under the following conditions :-
- The image is deployed using standalone media, such as a USB drive.
- The computer restarts between two Install Application task sequence steps.
- Install Application task sequence step does not have continue on error option enabled.
- The Install Package task sequence step repeats indefinitely under the following conditions :-
- Packages defined with the Set Dynamic Variables task are used as part of the Install Package task sequence step.
- The same program is called more than once, and that program returns a pending reboot exit code of 3010.
- The computer is rebooted after the second run of the program that returns the 3010 exit code.
For more information on changes in hotfix KB10036164, refer to the update rollup for Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager version 2103.
Note: Before you install hotfix KB10036164, I recommend running the prerequisite check first for the update. Even though no fresh modifications have been made that might raise any red flags, it’s still a good idea to adhere to best practices.
Install ConfigMgr 2103 Hotfix Rollup KB10036164
You can install ConfigMgr 2103 Hotfix Rollup KB10036164 with the following steps:
- Launch the Configuration Manager 2103 console.
- Go to Administration > Overview > Updates and Servicing.
- Right click Configuration Manager 2103 Hotfix Rollup KB10036164 and click Install Update Pack.
The KB10036164 hotfix includes the updates for following components:
- Configuration Manager site server updates
- Configuration Manager console updates
- Configuration Manager client updates
As I am installing the KB10036164 hotfix in my lab, I am going to ignore prerequisite check warnings. Click Next.
Select the client update settings and click Next.
Accept the license terms and click “Next.”
Review the settings on Summary window and click Next. On the Completion window click Close.
The KB10036164 update installation begins now, and you can monitor the update installation progress in Monitoring workspace. Alternatively, you can open the cmupdate.log on the site server to see the update install progress.
Once the ConfigMgr 2103 KB10036164 update installs, you get the console upgrade option. Click OK to upgrade the ConfigMgr console from version 5.2103.1059.2300 to 5.2103.1059.3100.
After the console upgrade is complete, the console launches automatically, and you can verify the new console version in About Configuration Manager window.
Next, you must ensure the client agents are also updated to the latest version. After you install KB 10036164, the new client version is 5.00.9049.1035. To upgrade the clients agents to the latest version, use the client upgrade option under site hierarchy settings. Select the days within which you want to upgrade the client agents.
Install KB10036164 on SCCM Secondary Site
If you have got SCCM secondary sites, you must install ConfigMgr 2103 Hotfix KB10036164 on all secondary sites. To update a secondary site in the Configuration Manager console, select Administration > Site Configuration > Sites and select the secondary site.
Right-click the secondary site and click Recover Secondary Site. The primary site then reinstalls that secondary site by using the updated files. The new, upgraded, and reinstalled secondary sites under that primary site automatically receive this update.