In this post, I will show you 2 ways to check SCCM software update sync status. You can check software update point synchronization status (SUP Sync status) from ConfigMgr console and with a SQL Query.
When you install and configure Software Update Point (SUP), you define a synchronization schedule and configure the software updates to sync automatically. You either select Simple Schedule or go with a custom schedule. By default, the synchronization occurs every 7 days.
When the SUP synchronization happens, Configuration Manager connects to Microsoft Update to retrieve software updates metadata. It retrieves the software update metadata that meets the criteria that you configure. You can view this SUP synchronization process by opening wsyncmgr.log file.
You can also configure Configuration Manager to create an alert when the synchronization fails on the site. I prefer to enable this option because you will get SUP sync failed alert in the Configuration Manager console.
Knowing the last software update point sync status is useful, especially when you need to troubleshoot software update point sync issues. If no updates are appearing in SCCM console, the first thing that you check is whether the SUP sync is working or not.
Find Software Update Point Synchronization Status from SCCM Console
The Configuration Manager admins can check the SUP synchronization status from console:
- Launch the Configuration Manager console.
- Go to Monitoring\Overview\Software Update Point Synchronization Status.
- The Last Synchronization attempt column shows the date and time when the SUP server tried synchronizing the updates.
Under the Software Update Point Synchronization status, you will find these additional details in the console:
- Site Code
- Software Update Point
- Synchronization Source
- Catalog Version
- Last Synchronization Attempt
- Synchronization Status
- Last Synchronization Error Code
- Link State
- Link Time
- Catalog Last Updated
SQL Query to Check SCCM Software Update Sync Status
You can run a simple SQL query to find the SCCM software update sync status and get details:
- Launch the SQL Server Management studio (SSMS) and connect to database engine.
- Expand Databases and right-click SCCM database and select New Query.
- In the query window, paste and execute the below SQL query to get the Software Update Sync status.
SELECT US.SiteCode, S.ServerName, S.SiteName, US.ContentVersion, Us.UpdateSource_UniqueID, US.SyncTime, US.LastSyncState, US.LastSyncStateTime, US.LastErrorCode FROM update_syncstatus US, v_Site S where US.SiteCode=S.SiteCode ORDER BY SyncTime