How to View Content Distribution Status in SCCM | ConfigMgr
In this article, I will show you how you can visualize or view content distribution status in SCCM. Starting in Configuration Manager version 2203, you can monitor content distribution path and status in a graphical format.
After you set up a new ConfigMgr distribution point, you start sending the content to this new DP. This includes the task sequences, applications, packages and other content. The process of sending the content to distribution point is also known as content distribution.
The feature to view the distribution status of a content in Configuration Manager was first introduced in version 2203. Ensure you upgrade to SCCM 2203 to use the visualize content distribution status feature.
You must also ensure the content distribution is successful by reviewing the SCCM log files on distribution point. The content status tab under Monitoring workspace shows whether the content distribution is successful or failed or in progress.
Recommended Reading: SCCM Content Distribution Monitor by Right Click Tools RCT
Visualize Content Distribution Status in ConfigMgr
When you visualize the content distribution of a package in SCCM, it helps you answer some questions like:
- Has the site successfully distributed the content?
- Is the content distribution in progress?
- Find the distribution points that have failed packages
- Count of distribution points to which the content is distributed to
- Which distribution points have already processed the content?
Useful Read: How to Update SCCM Application Content
How to View Content Distribution Status in SCCM
You can view the content distribution status in SCCM using following steps:
- In the Configuration Manager console, go to the Monitoring workspace, expand Distribution Status and select the Content Status node.
- Right-click a content item such as Application or package and select View Content Distribution.
- This action displays the distribution graph for the selected content in the console.
The View Content Distribution graph in SCCM shows distribution point type, distribution state, and associated status messages. This visualization allows you to more easily understand the status of your content package distribution.
We know that visualization allows you to more easily understand the status of your content package distribution. The below example shows a graph for the content distribution status of a package in an example hierarchy.
The content distribution graph is varies based on the package. However, the process to view content distribution status in SCCM remains same.
Content Distribution Graph Status Indicators
From the Content Distribution Status graph, you can view the following details with the help of indicators or Legends:
- If you see a solid blue line from the site server to each distribution point, it indicates that the rate limit is Unlimited.
- If you see a blue dotted line from the site server to each distribution point, it indicates that the rate limit is Limited.
- The green check mark on distribution points indicates that the content was successfully distributed to these site systems.
- If the content is not distributed, the graph doesn’t show anything. Therefore, you must distribute the content, refresh and check the content distribution status.
- If you see a red X on distribution points, it indicates that there’s an error in distributing the content to these site systems. In such cases, you can redistribute the failed content to SCCM DP.
- A Yellow arrow indicates the content distribution is in progress for that distribution point.
If you hover over the title of the site system, you can view more information about the server. Select it to drill through to the Distribution Points node.
If you have multiple distribution points in the production, the content distribution status graph shows a maximum of 5 distribution points per page. There is dropdown that you can use to navigate to next page and view the next set of distribution point servers.
Use the green arrows to view more when the size of the tree exceeds the size of the window. Selecting the Back arrow will take you to a previous view. To go back to the home page, select the icon.
There is a Search box to locate a server in the current tree view. You can type the distribution point server name and locate it in the graph to visualize the content distribution status. The Navigator to zoom and pan around the tree. You can also print the current view. Select the plus (+) or minus (-) icons next to the server name to expand or collapse members of a node.
in my SCCM Server 2203 i have no icon or the “view content distribution” when i right click !!!!
have you please any idea?
thanks in advance
What account are you using and what permissions do this account have on Configuration Manager?