On my Windows PC, I installed G.SKILL software and when I launched it, the application was blocked. I received the error This app has been blocked for your protection.
Just below that message, I saw An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information contact the administrator. This message was confusing because my user account was member of built-in administrators group.
So I assumed that this app launches fine when you run it as administrator. It seems like I was wrong, I got the same User Account Control box with same message. At this point turning off the UAC also didn’t fix my issue. I had no issues with other apps however this was the only application that I wasn’t able to use.
First of all let me show you the screenshot. Here is what I got when I launched the Gskill.exe for the first time. There is no other option that you see except Close.
If you are experiencing same error – This app has been blocked for your protection, let me show you how to fix this.
Fix This app has been blocked for your protection
If your app is blocked with above error when you launch it, try the below steps.
- On your Windows 10 computer click Start > gpedit.msc. This opens Local Group Policy Editor.
- Navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.
- In the right pane look for policy setting – User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode. Either right click the setting and click Properties or just double-click the policy.
This policy setting controls the behavior of all User Account Control (UAC) policy settings for the computer. If you change this policy setting, you must restart your computer.
You see two options.
- Enabled: Enables Admin Approval Mode and all related UAC policy settings.
- Disabled: Disables Admin Approval Mode and all related UAC policy settings.
Change the security setting to Disabled. Click OK.
You should immediately see a notification to restart the computer. Since we have modified UAC policy, you must restart your computer.
After the restart I could launch the application without any issues and the error This app has been blocked for your protection is resolved. I hope the steps mentioned this post helps you resolve this issue. Please let me know in the comments section in case you encounter further issues.