Let’s look at the steps to install SCCM client on Windows Server 2022. When you install ConfigMgr client agent on Windows Server 2022, you can manage the Windows Server in a better way.
At the time of writing this, Windows Server 2022 is the latest Server OS by Microsoft. Microsoft has already started pushing updates to Windows Server 2022 release.
If you are new to Server 2022 OS, you can learn how to download and install Windows Server 2022. Test it thoroughly and check your application compatibility and then roll out in production.
When you have multiple servers that require Server 2022, you can deploy Server 2022 using SCCM. Windows Server 2022 comes in two flavors – GUI and Core. Out of the two, the Server Core option is a minimal installation option and has a smaller disk footprint.
If you are running Windows Server 2022 core OS, you can still install SCCM client on it but with few limitations. Please refer the following guide to install SCCM client on Windows Server 2022 Core.
Methods to Install ConfigMgr Client on Windows Server 2022
There are multiple methods to install SCCM client on Windows Server 2022.
- Manually Install ConfigMgr Agent on Windows Server 2022 – This method can be used when you have a handful of Server 2022 machines. You install the SCCM client using command prompt.
- Using Client Push Method – This is the recommended method by Microsoft for installing client agent on remote Windows Clients (Client and Server).
- Software update-based installation – Software update-based client installation publishes the client to a software update point as a software update. Use this method for a first-time installation or upgrade.
- ConfigMgr Agent deployment using Group Policy – You can use GPO to target client agent to all of your Windows 2022 servers.
- Install Client Agent using Package – This is an old method of deploying client agents. To be honest, it’s not the best method to deploy agents to computers.
- Logon script installation – Once again an old method where client agent installs on the Windows Server using a logon script.
Out of all the methods listed above, we will use the client push method to install SCCM client on Windows Server 2022 machines. It is simple and easy method to deploy client agents. With client push installation method, you initiate the client agent installation from the SCCM console.
The client push installation method requires the client push installation account to be defined or specified. Ensure you specify the accounts on the Accounts tab of the Client Push Installation Properties.
Note – The client push account must be a member of the local Administrators group on the destination computer.
You can perform client push install either on a single Windows Server 2022 machine or group of servers. If you have multiple servers running Windows Server 2022 OS, I recommend creating SCCM Windows Server 2022 device collection.
Install SCCM Client on Windows Server 2022
The best way to install SCCM client on Windows Server 2022 is using the client push method.
- Launch the SCCM (Configuration Manager) console.
- Go to Assets and Compliance\Overview\Devices.
- Right click Windows Server 2022 machine and select Install Client.
The client push happens via the Install Configuration Manager client wizard. Specify the client push options. If you are installing SCCM client on Windows Server 2022 domain controllers, enable the option Allow the client software to be installed on domain controllers.
On the Summary window, review the settings and click Next.
Close the client push installation wizard.
Monitor the SCCM Client Installation on Windows Server 2022
After you install SCCM client on Windows Server 2022, you can monitor the client installation using SCCM log files. The client agent setup log files are located in C:\Windows\ccmsetup\Logs folder.
From the logs folder, open the Client.msi.log and ccmsetup.log file using CMTrace log file viewer or support center. These two files are useful to monitor the client installation.
If you review client.msi.log file, the following lines indicate successful client agent installation on Windows Server 2022.
Product: Configuration Manager Client -- Installation operation completed successfully. Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: Configuration Manager Client. Product Version: 5.00.9068.1000. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation. Installation success or error status: 0.
The next log file that you can review is ccmsetup.log. CcmSetup is exiting with return code 0 also confirms the client agent is successfully installed on Windows Server 2022.
When the client agent is installed on Windows Server 2022, ensure you see all the 11 Actions under Actions tab of Configuration Manager properties. If you are new to Client Actions, I recommend reading Configuration Manager client actions.
If you see only two action cycles here, you need to troubleshoot the issue further by reviewing the client logs and ensuring the client to management point communication is working correctly.