Somewhere I had read that you cannot delete Windows Autopilot device from Azure AD. In this post, I will show you how you can delete autopilot device from Azure AD.
When I set up Autopilot (Autopilot Setup Guide) for the first time, I did not have a physical laptop for testing, so I had to use a virtual machine. Since then, the machine remained in the Azure AD, and recently, I wanted to clean up the autopilot device from Azure portal.
According to Microsoft, Printers and Windows Autopilot devices cannot be deleted in Azure AD. I felt so when I attempted to delete the device, and I wasn’t certain if I could delete it. Let’s test that by deleting an Autopilot device from the Azure portal.
Launch the Azure portal and go to All Devices. It is easy to identify Autopilot device because it has a unique icon assigned. Select a Windows Autopilot device and try deleting it, and you will get the following error.
You cannot delete Windows Autopilot devices here
Your selection contains Windows Autopilot Devices. Unselect these devices to continue deleting any remaining selected devices. Click Cancel to return to the list of devices and keep the devices selected.
You get two options – Unselect these devices and continue and cancel. The other option that we have is disable. You can select an Autopilot device and disable it.
Before you Remove Autopilot Device
There are two things that you need to consider before removing or deleting Autopilot devices.
- Completely removing a device from your tenant requires you to delete the Intune device, the Azure Active Directory device, and the Windows Autopilot device records.
- If you want to delete Windows Autopilot devices that aren’t enrolled into Intune, you can do that from Devices > Windows > Windows enrollment > Devices. More info can be found in the Microsoft documentation.
Delete Windows Autopilot Device From Azure AD
Let’s look at the steps to delete the Windows Autopilot device from Azure AD.
- First login to Microsoft Endpoint Admin centre (Intune Portal).
- Navigate to Devices > Windows > Windows enrollment > Devices.
- Choose the devices you want to delete, then choose Delete.
- Windows Autopilot device deletion can take a few minutes to complete.
Now we see the device has been deleted from Windows Autopilot devices section.
Get back to Azure Portal and go to All Devices. Select Windows Autopilot device from the list and click Delete. This time you see a different message.
Deleting the devices selected is permanent and will affect all accounts within this tenant on the selected devices. Are you sure you want to delete the selected device. Click Yes.
We now see the Windows Autopilot device has been deleted successfully.