Office 2019 Overview and Deployment Information
This post covers basic information on Office 2019 overview and deployment. So the good news is Office 2019 is out and there are lot things that one has to understand before you deploy Office 2019.
While Office 2019 is released, we can expect more product releases such as Project Server 2019, Exchange Server 2019, Skype for Business Server 2019 etc.
I am not sure when but I hope in the coming weeks. If you are a Microsoft’s volume licensing customer, you should have access to download Office 2019 deployment tool. However very soon Office 2019 should be available for other consumers as well.
You can download the latest version of Office deployment tool and download Office 2019. To deploy Office 2019 in your organization, you can use SCCM/Configuration manager. If you are planning to deploy Office 2019 using SCCM, it’s good to be on latest version of SCCM current branch.
As per Microsoft, Office 2019 product should be listed in SCCM > Office 365 Client Installation wizard.
Here is a guide to deploy Microsoft Office 2019 using SCCM – https://www.prajwaldesai.com/deploy-office-2019-using-sccm/
Office 2019 Overview
If you are volume licensing customer, you should find the below Office 2019 products in the download list.
- Office Professional Plus 2019
- Office Standard 2019
- Project Professional 2019
- Project Standard 2019
- Visio Professional 2019
- Visio Standard 2019
There is no change in the list of Office 2019 apps that are installed except OneNote. There will be no OneNote 2019, rather the users will get OneNote 2016.
Planning Office 2019 Deployment
If you are planning to deploy Office 2019 in your organization, then please read important points about Office 2019 deployment.
- Office 2019 installs are applicable to Windows 10 and not Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. So the admins now have to gear up and upgrade Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10 if they want Office 2019.
- Previous versions of Office products that were installed with Windows Installer can be uninstalled using Office Deployment Too.
- Office Pro Plus 2019 includes Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, Word, and Skype for Business. Furthermore it is available for both Windows and Mac OS.
- You cannot run Office 2019 simultaneously with Office 2016 or older editions of Office.
- Office 2019 uses Click-to-Run installation technology, while earlier versions of Office used Windows Installer (MSI) as the installation technology. Maybe all the future versions of office will use click-to-run technology.
- To activate Office 2019 volume licensed products you can still use Key Management Service (KMS).
- New Office Deployment Tool (ODT) is globally available. You can download Office Deployment Tool from here.
- You can download Office 2019 using ODT. Approx size of the download is 2.12 GB.
- You can install Office 2019 either from Office CDN or download the installation files from the Office CDN to a location on your local network. You can place the files on shared folder, and install Office 2019 from that location.
- Office 2019 products install on C: drive and you cannot change the install location.
- Most of all you have to uninstall existing versions of Office before you deploy Office 2019.
- Office 2019 products are available for downloads in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
- Office 2019 is a separate product. If you have already deployed Office 365 ProPlus in your organization, you don’t need Office 2019. Therefore Office 2019 features of Office 365 proplus.
- Regarding Office 2019 updates, you may not get new feature updates but just security updates. You must consider moving to any of the Office 365 plans to get the regular updates.
I just wanted to say thanks. you have been a great resource when it comes to learning SCCM. I appreciate that you make things easy enough to understand. Great Work!
The MS documentation says you do not have to manually download ODT. Office2019 is supposed to be available within the Office365 Installer wizard which is built in to CM current branch.
Yes you are correct but the Office 2019 is still not listed in O365 installer wizard. I have informed the product team about this and they are working on it.